Attempted Install - Forbidden 403

I checked to make sure the hosting I'm using is compatible.  To make sure I even contacted my hosting provider with the requirements page and have confirmed Elgg is compatible.

I uploaded the files and attempted to install Elgg.  I get a 403 Forbidden error.  I enabled the .htaccess.  Same.  I even added in RewriteBase /elggtest/ in the .htaccess file to see if that would help as I did install Elgg in a subdirectory.  Same.

Any suggestions?  I look in my error logs and all I see is:

Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /home/public_html/elggtest/

• What hosting are you using? Did you try using the auto installer that comes with your hosting?

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• @Nick - you kinda should have pasted the full error message not just that it is a 403 - which usually indicates a problem with owner:group and/or perms on files(s) in the root directory, maybe b/c of rules enforced by suexec. talk to your Tech Supp and ask them to check that area. I bet your index.php (at least) is out-of-bounds.

• When I try to visit the site this is the exact error message:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /elggtest/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

• 1. do you also receive this error if you include "index.php" at the end of the URL?

2. Can you put a html file in directory and view it?

• which version are you using? Give 1.8b a try, it eliminates the need for the htaccess file and does a clean install. Also see if you can change the php.ini file from the hosting control panel. php ez config is a great little program.

• @Gilead, maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but 1.8 most certainly does not eliminate the need for an .htaccess file.