Installing Elgg - Problems

I have been trying to Install Elgg.  I followed the instructions on the install page but when I type in my URL, this shows up.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I need to do to correct it?  Thanks.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@thecamfoundation.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.16 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.16 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.thecamfoundation.org Port 80
  • So to be more specific about what I did with the install

1.  I downloaded elgg 1.7.10

2.  I unzipped (extracted the folder)

2.5.  I checked with voonami.com (the remote server) to see if we have MySQL as part of our hosting package so I can use it.  They confirmed that we do.

3.  I put the file as public_html/NSF/elgg

3.5  I created an empty folder (data) and put it as public_html/NSF/data

4.  I checked the url  which is thecamfoundation.org/NSF/elgg

5.  It didn't work.

6.  I knew I was going to have to change the name of elgg anyway to "learningcenter" so I went ahead and did that right now so now it's put as public_html/NSF/learningcenter

7.  I typed in thecamfoundation.org/NSF/learning center and am getting the above error message.

8.  I have been looking around at other people's installation problems and can't find one that matches mine so I don't know what to do.

Thanks for your help.  :)

• I think as you are trying to install Elgg to a subdirectory of the domain you need to make an adjustment in Elgg's .htaccess file prior installation. Check in your installation folder (public_html/NSF/learningcenter), if you already have a file named .htaccess. If not, create a copy named ".htaccess" of the file htaccess_dist. In .htaccess you need to set up the variable RewriteBase. There already is a RewriteBase variable in the file, but it's commented out. Uncomment the line and set it to

RewriteBase /NSF/learningcenter/

Then you should be able to start / continue the installation.

I also think that you need to change the location of the data folder: public_html/NSF/data is most likely accessible directly via Internet. That's bad for security. Instead you should create the data directory on the same level as your public_html folder. Your public_html folder is for example in /home/username/public_html. Then the data folder should be /home/username/data.

• This comment was removed by an administrator because it contained advertising.

• You need http:// in front of your urls. Make sure to look for typos (there are a few in your summary).

Otherwise my best advice is just to start over.

• I tried both things and am still getting the same message.  :(