upgrading from 1.7.6 to 1.8.0

Please how can I upgrade from version 1.7.6 to 1.8.0, without losses

• Please read the UPGRADE.txt instructions.

• thanks brett, i'll check it, now my site is running on a subfolder e.g www.mysite.com/elgg.....so i used a htaccess file to direct the index page to load from the subfolder upon entering the webname.please do I need to over write files like the upgrade.

Please what are the codes & data directory referred to in the upgrade.txt

• i think theres no wizard way to do that coz 1.8.0 + has realy different structure from previous releases of elgg. just only my though.

• @kxx4 - Yes, you need to override the files. The upgrade.txt file explains this is detail. You'll need to copy the .htaccess modifications to the new .htaccess file.

The data directory is the directory you specified as the data dir during setup.

The code is the site.

• @brett:|Thanks the htaccess file i mean is different from the 1 with elgg. i mean a htaccess file i created in my host server that points my url to the elgg script in the subhost folder.I repointed this htaccess to a folder having ther v1.8 in my server and it loaded to start installation but I didnt continue with the steps due to caution.

what if i installed the 1.8version as new script and connected to the existing database in the site.

• @ kxx4

"what if i installed the 1.8version as new script and connected to the existing database in the site."

It won't work, I have tried it.

• @kxx4 - You need to use 1.8's htaccess file, which means you'll need to merge the changes from your current htaccess and 1.8's htaccess_dist files.

@woodpecker - Yes it will. You have to run upgrade.php. This is the exact procedure to follow in order to upgrade from 1.7 to 1.8.

• I am doing the upgrade now , am over writing files. I read on the upgrade manual to delete the core views directories, please are they the directories listed at the end of the page? Is the views folder inclusive?

• You need to remove the views folder

Also Remove the following folders:
    * _css
    * account
    * admin
    * dashboard
    * entities
    * friends
    * search (may interfere with the search plugin so definitely important to delete)
    * settings
    * simplecache

Don't forget to disable all plugins before doing the upgrade!

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• @rj: I didnt read about disabling all plugins, I now have an error message after all

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@snoopas.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.