Missing River Definitions (river:create:user:default)

Hi,

I upgraded my site to Elgg 1.8 and some of the items on the river don't seem to have proper definitions. A lot of entries are working, but some show up like this:

• river:create:user:default 
  • profile:river:iconupdate
  • pages:river:updated pages:river:update

Can anyone give me some tips on how I could go about tracking down what is missing and eventually fixing this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• I don't believe river:create:user:default was ever a language string defined by Elgg.

We stopped supporting the Pages update event in 1.8. Perhaps we should still distribute the strings for that.

profile:river:iconupdate should have been modified in the upgrade.

• As far as I can tell it looks like river:create:user:default used to say "Stoz is now a friend with Crash" (it was a little strangely worded like that). I'm not sure if it came from another plugin or not.

With regards to the pages thing, I would happy to do either of the following:

• Manually add the string back in to my elgg install so that the string shows up correctly in the activity history.
    • Remove the previous pages update events from the activity river alltogether. Would this be as simple as deleting all the entries from elgg_river where subtype = page or page_top and action_type = update? Or is this dangerous?
    With regards to the profile icon update, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by modified in the upgrade. Should something have been modified in the database? Or should some of the strings have been modified in the elgg install? Or something else?
    Thanks for all your help.
    Regards,
    Matt Stosic
  • I have also reported about this 4 weeks back in ELGG community on profile:river:iconupdate.

@Matt: Can you let me know what string you manually added to the file? Which file and wats the string? Can you please share that?

• @Purus: I haven't added anything yet, as I'm not quite sure where I would do that myself. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. What did you find out about profile:river:iconupdate when you first reported it?

• Just a reminder that verifiable errors should be reported to Trac. If they are just mentioned on elgg.org they may get overlooked.

• Here is the ticket on profile:river:iconupdate: http://trac.elgg.org/ticket/3812

I cannot remember the details of the upgrade, but I thought it renamed the name of the view used for displaying a profile update. I may be wrong about that. Here's a way to check this: delete the code for the profile plugin and replace it with the code from the 1.8 download. It may be that there is some old code inferring.

• When Purus reported this issue a few weeks ago I checked the language files of Elgg 1.7 and 1.8 for profile:river:iconupdate. It exists in Elgg 1.7 but not in Elgg 1.8. The other tags mentioned above with the exception of river:create:user:default also exist in Elgg 1.7. I imagine the problem with these tags still being displayed in Elgg 1.8 (the tags and not the language string) is caused by the update instructions that don't tell you you better remove ALL files of Elgg 1.7 prior copying Elgg 1.8 to the server. At least I would say this would be the much cleaner way to upgrade. Maybe these tags also only show because of of 3rd party plugins relying on them. But then I would say these plugins are not fully compatible with Elgg 1.8 right now. This could also result in problems at a later time...

• I have managed to fix the profile:river:iconupdate by deleting the "profile" directory in "mod" on my server and then re-uploading the "profile" folder from the elgg 1.8.0.1 install folder. You are correct that I didn't delete the "profile" directory from "mod" before I upgraded as it wasn't specified in the UPGRADE.txt.

I was also able to fix the "pages" issue by deleting and then re-uploading the "pages" directory in "mod".

I still can not find what is causing the river:create:user:default messages to be displayed. Any guidance with this last one is greatly appreciated.

• I was able to fix the profile:river:iconupdate issue with the solution provided by Cash. Thanks for that.

Hopefully in the 1.8.1 release the UPGRADE.txt will be updated to reflect this.

I have created a new task so that the Core Team can have a look on it.

http://trac.elgg.org/ticket/3975

• I looked through the 1.7 code for river:create:user:default and could not find it. That's why I think it is coming from a 3rd party plugin. Do you know how to search through code for a string? http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/How_do_I_find_the_code_that_does_x%3F