Removing "More" Menu

How to remove the "More" menu in the ELGG site?

I feel that the "More" functionality is not offereing flexiblity. So I wanted to disable that fully via a plugin.

Should we user elgg_unregister_menu_item() for that? There is no detailed documentation for this. I am not sure what values should be passed to this function.

• Rather than overriding the view, try unregistering the function that moves extra menu items into the more section:

elgg_unregister_plugin_hook_handler('prepare', 'menu:site', 'elgg_site_menu_setup');

• @Purus:

You've built the basics of the "Canvas Menu" (code by ScottMiller http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/developer/skotmiller ++ my contribution incl < v.1.8;) style PlugIn. And so - yr code can be expanded into just that sort of a PlugIn (again) but for 1.v.8...Believe -- many will luv this ;)

• CanvasMenu.1.8 ;-P coming soon !?

• @Cash: Thanks for lettting me know about this new function. I wil incorporate that in the plugin soon.

@DDS: Expecting your CanvasMenu 1.8 soon :)

• I also had the need for removing the "more" item. Seems like unregistering the plugin hook handler is the easiest way.

But why is it that the "more" item is viewed even if there are no items under it? Is this a feature or a bug?

The view at views/default/navigation/menu/site.php just checks if the $vars['menu']['more'] is set but it doesn't check if it actually contains any menu items.

• As Cash suggested, I used the function instead of overriding the view. Now the menus are displayed in the random order. Its not in the same order as mentioned in the Admin - Menus page.

• If there are no items for the more menu it shouldn't be displayed. I think we fixed that for the 1.8.1 beta release.

Purus, if you want to maintain the order set in the menu admin area, just register your own plugin hook handler and take a look at the code in the function that you unregistered.

• "Canvas menu" for Elgg 1.8 would be cool! Configurable drop-down menus via the admin section and maybe also little icons before the text link of the main menu items. Jeroen had released a plugin for Elgg 1.7 that does just that (http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/project/674289/developer/jdalsem/menu-builder) - at least I think so as I've not yet tested in myself as the canvas/header menu plugin still works fine on my site.

• ;-) You might like 'Custom_Popup_Links' -- multiple, customizable popup links like the Login @ Elgg.1.8 -- I was playing around with code and tried out a Whole Row of custom popups after Logged in ;-oX and I am s-l-o-w-l-y packaging that as a formal PlugIn when and as I have spare time ;-) There's good things coming for the last love of my Life -- Elgg.1.8 -- tee hee ;-P

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.