rewrite problem with install of 1.8

i'm pretty computer savvy but this new vps i got is driving me nuts lol. i did a fresh install of centos 5 with kloxo as my cpanel alternative. now i can't seem to pass the first requirement check which is to disable open_basedir. trust me, i've done my research and it's still not working. can someone help me on this matter? i'll be tinkering with it while i wait for your replies.

• 1. Disable open_basedir

2. Restart Apache

• i figured it out! i had to add kloxo on my google results. so here's what i did so it can help you guys who has an unmanaged VPS with kloxo installed as your cpanel alternative:

click your domain -> misc config -> check Disable Openbasedir -> update -> restart

restart command via ssh: /etc/init.d/httpd restart

weird how i never had this problem before, guess elgg is tightening up it's requirements ;)

• okay new problem, after i fixed last night's first problem, i went to bed and now i can't seem to get over the rewrite thing. i know rewriting is working because of the rewrite test @ http://46.105.251.127/rewrite.php

did anyone else have this problem? and yes i do have this in my vhost file:

<Directory /home/admin/demyx/>
    AllowOverride All
    </Directory>

• You need to describe the errors that you are seeing.

• no errors, just this:

Requirements check

Your server failed the requirements check. After you have fixed the below issues, refresh this page. Check the troubleshooting links at the bottom of this page if you need further assistance.

PHP

• Your server's PHP satisfies all of Elgg's requirements.

Web server

• We think your server is running the Apache web server.

The rewrite test failed and the most likely cause is that AllowOverride is not set to All for Elgg's directory. This prevents Apache from processing the .htaccess file which contains the rewrite rules.

A less likely cause is Apache is configured with an alias for your Elgg directory and you need to set the RewriteBase in your .htaccess. There are further instructions in the .htaccess file in your Elgg directory.

Database

• The database requirements are checked when Elgg loads its database.

• and i know mod rewrite is enabled

1. Open up install/ElggRewriteTester.php
    2. Find the method runRewriteTest()
    3. Add error_log("hitting $url");
    4. Add error_log($reponse); before the 2 returns
    5. Let us know the result
  • like this right? and where is the log file gonna be at? i refreshed the install page and nothing happened.

public function run($url, $path) {

$this->webserver = ElggRewriteTester::guessWebServer();

$this->rewriteTestPassed = $this->runRewriteTest($url);
            error_log("hitting $url");

if ($this->rewriteTestPassed == FALSE) {
                if ($this->webserver == 'apache' || $this->webserver == 'unknown') {
                    if ($this->createHtaccess($path)) {
                        $this->rewriteTestPassed = $this->runRewriteTest($url);
                    }
                }
            }
            error_log($reponse);
            return $this->returnStatus($url);
        }

• No, put those error_log calls in the method runRewriteTest()

With a standard setup, you should the output in /var/log/apache2/error.log or /var/log/httpd/error.log

• so like this? and do i put it inside all of the runRewriteTest methods instead of this one function?

public function run($url, $path) {

$this->webserver = ElggRewriteTester::guessWebServer();

$this->rewriteTestPassed = $this->runRewriteTest(error_log("hitting $url"));

if ($this->rewriteTestPassed == FALSE) {
                if ($this->webserver == 'apache' || $this->webserver == 'unknown') {
                    if ($this->createHtaccess($path)) {
                        $this->rewriteTestPassed = $this->runRewriteTest(error_log("hitting $url"));
                    }
                }
            }
            error_log($reponse);
            return $this->returnStatus($url);
        }

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.