Adding Coments error for loggedin users.

When anybody is trying to add something in comments , it show following error.

Sorry, you need to actually put something in your comment before we can save it.

I am on elgg 1.7.8 and recently no changes were done to any plugin. But at last night I did some MYSQL optimizations is these are related to mysql values, According to me this kind of error accured due to some js please let me know if anyone face same situation.

I saw one more related post but not clear. I am using speak freely plugin and it is working very well for logged out users.

Thanks

• Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; MS-RTC LM 8)
    Timestamp: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:54:54 UTC

Message: Object doesn't support property or method 'parentElement'
    Line: 1
    Char: 39774
    Code: 0
    URI: http://www.xyz.com/mod/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/tiny_mce.js

• Two users reported the same issue on my site. But they were using IE9. For others it seems to work fine. Since I upgraded TinyMCE it works also for IE9 (at least nobody told me it doesn't). But as you mentioned you haven't changed anything on the plugins....

Does it work to post comments if you disable the TinyMCE plugin temporarily? If yes, it might really be only an issue with TinyMCE. Have you ungraded anything on your client machine like WindowsUpdate patches or Java updates?

You could replace the Elgg default TinyMCE plugin with the extended TinyMCE plugin I've uploaded here at the community site. Maybe it will fix the issue. Though you might need to configure the editor option (i.e. reduce them) if you don't want to use the extended options.

• thanks iionly I faced this error also on ie9. I will check it .

• Hi there,

I also have this issue in IE9. Any ideas?

• @Paul: have you already tried what I suggested above? These are the ideas I would have...

• I did dump the most recent (10/31/2011) version of tiny_mce into the /mod/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts directory where the old tiny_mce code resided, and I kept getting tinyMCE undefined errors.  

• Try running upgrade.php to refresh Elgg's cache. The latest release of TinyMCE should work fine with IE9. If it doesn't, you can check out my extended_tinymce plugin to compare the tinymce_init function parameters (especially extended_valid_elements). It might help to modify the init of tinymce on your site accordingly.

• @Paul - you should also mention your version of Elgg

• @Cash, I am using Elgg 1.7.11. I have compared the tiny_mce.js scripts. The original script starts with

var tinymce={majorVersion:'3',minorVersion:'2.0.1',......."

however the updated one (pulled down form the tiny_mce site) starts as:

var b={majorVersion:"3",minorVersion:"3.9.4",releaseDate:"201".......

So, that must be why "tinymce is undefined" errors kept popping up. Anyone know where to find a non-minified version of tiny_mce? 

• @Paul: I don't know where you got this version of tinymce (3.3.9.4). But this version is surely NOT the latest version. Most likely it's even so old that it has been released before IE9 got published. Therefore, it's not surprising that it still does not work for you with this version.

The latest version of tinymce is version 3.4.6 (released 2011/09/29). You can download it at http://www.tinymce.com/index.php. Alternatively, you can check out my extended tinymce plugin (available both for Elgg 1.7 and 1.8 here on the site). This plugin also includes the latest tinymce release.