Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted

Hello,

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 12 bytes) in $HOME/engine/lib/metadata.php on line 36

My site is working fine till now and encountered this issue which i'm not aware of it ??

Thanks

• Have you googled for it?

Try the dbvalidator plugin from cash.

• He doesnt have to google it, the answer is all over this site. just have to search for it :)

• dbvalidater will repair/clean up the Database and can anyone explain me how is this related to Database issue ??

• wow...i finally able to access my site now

but Team webgalli/Flexx can you guys tell me the reason why this happened ??

I taught it was a server error and was fighting with server support

how is this related to database plugins...i'm still confused

• Have you googled / searched for it yet?

• yes...after i googled/searched it, then i posted in community here

its been said i need to increase the memory_limit in php.ini...that is why i'm confused

• Your site tried to allocate more than 256 MB and it wasn't enough. Therefore, the error. If you have set the memory_limit too small in php.ini (or alternatively in Elgg's .htaccess file) your site won't work nicely in general. But normally 64 or 128 MB should be enough. If you have increased the memory_limit and it works fine, your done.

But there's another reason why the allocated memory error can occur. There could be some entries getting created in the database due to a bug that sometimes occures in Elgg 1.7 (not sure you are safe in Elgg 1.8). These entries result in an ever-increasing memory consumption. You might delay the error by increasing the memory_limit. But sooner or later it might happen again that the memory is not enough.

Cash included a script in the DB Validator plugin to address this bug (http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/project/438616/developer/costelloc/database-validator). Here's the release notes of the latest release:

Added a script to clean up too many plugin_entries - a very common cause of out of memory errors for versions of Elgg < 1.8. To run this script, you must hit the URL: http//yoursite.com/mod/dbvalidate/repair.php