Elgg 1.8.3 dep issue...

elgg 1.8.2 fine...

then elgg 1.8.3..... what the hell happened??!?!?!?!

Screenshot : 

http://www.photographyfriends.co.uk/omg.jpg 

• @djSupport

Try this way

Search in all your MOD's files:

page_owner_entity()

get_context()

....etc.....

And replace it with:

elgg_get_page_owner_entity()

elgg_get_context()

• I believe Cash is working on something that is supposed to check plugins against Elgg coding standards. Take a look at his github repo.

All deprecated functions are still supported by the core. You can find the backward compatibility functions in engine/lib/deprecated(version). Those files are helpful in freeing the plugin code from deprecated functions, just grep and replace.

Deprecation notices should not be affecting the site functionality, if they do - there is definitely something wrong with your css. 

The reason for not having a toggle is to make sure admins see all those errors, and do something about them. What you can do:

1. Make sure you run the latest version of the plugin in question

2. If deprecation notices, persist: 

- Inform the author via plugin page and request that deprecated functions be replaced in the upcoming release

- Make the necessary modifications yourself and contribute the code (via github or email)

- Get rid of the plugin, as the plugin may in the long run crash your site - if the developer is lazy for too long, the plugin can end up crashing your site once the deprecated function removed from the core completely

3. Deprecated function is not a bug per se, however it is important that as a site admin you are aware that plugin you are running are outdated and do not comply with Elgg latest coding standards. Deprecation notices are designed to be annoying!!!

• 1. Check the debug level of your site.

2. Notices are only displayed to admins.

3. From hard experience, we know that developers/admins will not update their plugins unless they get visual reminders. If these plugins are not updated, your site will crash when we remove the deprecated notices. We prefer annoying notices to crashed sites.

4. If you are seeing deprecation notices for get_entities() or extend_view(), please realize these were deprecated in Elgg 1.7.0. We're now on 1.7.14 and 1.8.3 and it has been a long time since 1.7.0 was released. We've been logging notices to your PHP error log since 1.7.0 for those functions.

5. The notices logged to the PHP error log contain more information than the ones that pop up in the red boxes. There is usually enough information in there to figure out what plugin has the deprecated notice - and usually the line number in the file.

• RVR I had thought of that...

and Cash only 2 plugins giving me deprecated thats mass mailer infact Im sure I can fix that myself and Tidypics and so an admin cant be forced to update something that isn't availible ;) :P

• I haven't tried 1.8.3 out yet, but if you're getting inline errors on your page then there's either a bug in Elgg that needs to be reported right away, or your error display settings are incorrect.

• Nudeler2

Some people just read what they just want to read.

And seem not to be able to understand the following?

3. From hard experience, we know that developers/admins will not update their plugins unless they get visual reminders. If these plugins are not updated, your site will crash when we remove the deprecated notices. We prefer annoying notices to crashed sites.

That's just relevant for the existence of the social network software.

Bravo!

• This may help. It gives you a whitelist of admins who will see the notices. Some systems will have admins who shouldn't be upgrading plugins/altering code. If you're a technical admin, yes, you'll want to see the notices.