Registration page

Hi everyone,

I was trying to reduce the registration form to just email adress and password fields but didn't know how to make changes.If anyone can guide me to right direction that will be great. is there already a plugin that allows to change the registration page?

Thank You

neupas

• Rule #2 - don't touch the database!

Same logic applies - if you try to upgrade you'll lose your changes, or the upgrade might fail, etc.

As long as you didn't do anything else, just changing the type back should be fine.

IK used microtime for the username, and microtime has a space in it which isn't allowed.

You can still use microtime but you'll have to filter out the space, I'd filter out the "." too just to make the username a large unique number.

$name = str_replace(" ", "", str_replace(".", "", microtime()));

• @Ismayil and Matt, Really appreciate your help. It works like a charm right now.

My next task is to activate profile manager plugin and make it work.

Thank you everyone for the warm hospitality in this community.

Regards

neupas

• kewl that yew got thus far ! says something about your learning curve.. a small word of caution - beware of mixing the ProfileManager's functions too closely with the register function. PM does also extend the register's funtionalities..

• Nudeler2

@Mad Brikett

That was indeed an instruction.  Just because you used the word "could" doesn't make it any less of an instruction.  Nowhere in his question did he indicate that he had already hacked his core code, and if it did the appropriate response would not be "well try hacking this file as well", it would be the response I posted, which is don't hack the core, use the views overriding functionality that was built for this purpose.

On one hand I really want to just ignore you and not reply to anything you post, however, I simply can't.  This is a community, with the purpose of helping people to use and learn Elgg.

You are completely undermining that by doling out your horrible, horrible advice at every chance.

I'm not always right, and when someone posts something that proves me wrong, I correct myself and usually thank that person for showing me the correct way of doing something.  I don't keep fighting with stupid symantic arguments like "I said he could do..."

So yes, if you don't know the answer, you should keep quiet.  If you think you know the answer and are proven wrong, don't be a jerk about it.  Accept it and let the original poster know that you were in error.

THIS WAS INDEED NO INSTRUCTION AND neupas DID ALREADY WORK ON HIS CODE! You may try to reverse this, but it does not work! Thus stop try to reverse this, because that does not work, only in YOUR completely the facts undermining brain! And only just this fact is it, that is "stupid"!

This is what neupas wrote in his first entry:

I was trying to reduce the registration form to just email adress and password fields

!!

@DropDeScoop

@Neupas: Don't feel worried or threatened by any advice - just follow Nudeler's advice blindly -- and when it totally totally screws up your webisite then you can cuss and spit !...just remember that highly qualified Professionals...

So, neupas's website "totally totally screws up on nudeler2's advice" - or neupas own experiments?

And after all that: what - of this what I wrote - was wrong, you "masters of the universe" (in your brains)?

Could you save the climate of the earthaura, and people in thaht western wars for oil, too - or you all are driving cars?

• @noodler It's ok man chill out, I read your posts and it looks like your intentions were honerable and maybe Maddy crossed the line with a tiny bite with "Woah, hold up a sec." now that being said I think that you gave the right instruction for a programer who knows elgg where the file that needs to be overwritten. A newbi might not know that! That is all Maddy tried to convey.

let it go you guys!

Steve

• Thanks, @Steve. 

@Matt, I think we are on the same page here, like old University Professors, who preach to a sleepy class with a few people awake on the front seats. I think we should just continue with our compliance agenda without getting too personal with the wrong-doers. I think by now people know who to listen too, and anyone can verify our credtentials by looking at our plugin repos. 

@Nudeler, don't take it personal We didn't mean any offense. Me and Matt are blunt when we see an advise that might be misinterpreted or is pure wrong. I think both of us take much care about providing a detailed response leaving no room for duality or 'read-in-between-the-lines' approach, especially when it comes to newbies. 

@all, please note that there is a huge shortage of Elgg developers. With the release of 1.8 and continuing advancements in Elgg core, the platform becoming more attractive than ever. It is therefore my pledge to the community to try and bring up some new coders that can help this project grow further. But this is conditional - I don't want to see any more crappy code that's abundant in this community repo. Let's raise the bar here, let's push ourselves to make our code pretty, readable, standard compliant and Elggy. 

One of the main reasons I release most of my plugins in GPL is to increase the overall expectations from plugins hosted here. Some 'index-page-themes' and 'one-hook' plugins should really no longer see the light in this community. It's time for comprehensive, well-thought and well-written plugins.

• Nudeler2

@Steve

@noodler It's ok man chill out, I read your posts and it looks like your intentions were honerable and maybe Maddy crossed the line with a tiny bite with "Woah, hold up a sec." now that being said I think that you gave the right instruction for a programer who knows elgg where the file that needs to be overwritten. A newbi might not know that! That is all Maddy tried to convey.

Thanks, Steve.

What do ya think: had I must defend that this "masters of the universe" try reverse the facts, and their unfriendly, provocating comments, if they were not made?

Couldn't they comment just on a friendly manner?

Thanks.

• Nudeler2

@Ismayil

@Nudeler, don't take it personal We didn't mean any offense. Me and Matt are blunt when we see an advise that might be misinterpreted or is pure wrong. I think both of us take much care about providing a detailed response leaving no room for duality or 'read-in-between-the-lines' approach, especially when it comes to newbies.

I only take personal what was meant personal. And that is to see! Everyone can see this.

I can not see that I wrote some pure wrong things!

Thanks.

• hey guys, I´ve never modified elgg core. The only thing I made was to remove "my site name" from elgg header. Is it a problem when upgrading elgg??

It s the only thing I ve changed from the core.

Thks

• if you changed it in the core instead of in a plugin then yes, you'll lose that when you upgrade