Remove site-wide @user

Hi all

I was wondering if some one could tell me how to remove @user sitewide?

thanks in advance

regards

[Moderator: this comment was off-topic. It was moved to its own topic.]

• Do you mean the entry in the user hover menu in Elgg 1.8?

• @brett

Hi, yes that's what I would liek to do.  site-wide if possible. I've looked for a plugin that does does that but I cannot find one.

regards

• @stumpy : override the views\default\navigation\menu\user_hover.php in your theme and remove the necessary lines.

• I finally figured out what @User is - on the User Hover Menu ;-)
    Here's a ScreenShot from my XAMPP with User Hover modal...
    But I can't see anything that looks like '@User' ;-(

• @TW

Thanks I shall endevour to get that sorted.

As a side note, my site is already quite heavy with plugins; I want to avoid adding any more.  If I edit the core user_hover.php (comment out said line/s) would this cause trouble with any upgrades later on?

regards

• @stumpy: yes. any change in the core will cause troubles. TeamWebgalli pointed you into the right direction.

• @13net

Ok thanks.  I have to be honest tho', it's so so tempting just to delete "@$user->name" lol

OK, now I just need to find the path to the user search file.

Thanks guys much appreciated

regards

• @stumpy: you can use the same approach but in a custom plugin especially created for this purpose  => the only thing is that you should not change a core file!!13

create a plugin with nothing in it but just the start.php, a manifest.xml and the adapted user_hover.php in "yourplugin/views/default/navigation/menu/".

You can then use this plugin for further customization (then name it "my_XXX_customizations".. ) or you can create a plugin for every major change you'd make to the Elgg core (then you can release to the community and reuse it in other Elgg installations too).

This will take you <5 mins.

Have a nice day.

• @13net

Thanks for the advice; I saw a plugin somewhere here that showed how to overide views; I'm going to try to use that to overide them particular views.

I'm not a coder I'm just learning as I go along. I'm still looking for the view file for searce results.

Thanks again

regards

Beginning Developers

Beginning Developers

This space is for newcomers, who wish to build a new plugin or to customize an existing one to their liking