User registration

Hello everyone,

I'm starting a new project and I'm planning to use elgg. My first challenge is that: I want the new user to answer some questions during the registration, and I want to save this information to use in the future. To use the information I can write a plugin or widget accessing mysql data saved during the registration form. But where can I put the form with the questions to be filled out during the registration? 

Tks a lot,

Regards, Fabio.

• Hi aethiopicus,

There is already a plugin that allows you do this - look up profile manager in the plugins repository.

You can absolutely write your own plugins if you wish, take a look at the docs.  Elgg is written in such a way that you don't need to worry about mysql - all of the queries are taken care of for you in the vast majority of cases, also, you don't need to create an new tables for anything.

It's a good model, takes a bit to wrap your head around but once you get it it's powerful.

• Hi Matt, tks for the answer. I started using the profile manager plugin and it helped a lot, but I need a suggestion for the follow requirement:

One of the fields is Hobbies, and I want the new user to ranking (rating one to five, for exemple) which hobbies have more interest for him/her. Any ideia how to implement it?

For example:

Hobbies:

- basketball (4)

- baseball (3)

- football (5)

- soccer (2)

- hockey (1)

which mean that I'm more interested in football and basketball than in hockey and soccer.

Regards.

Beginning Developers

Beginning Developers

This space is for newcomers, who wish to build a new plugin or to customize an existing one to their liking