help with changing how discussion on the wire takes place

i am starting a social networking site using ELGG, hosting by Arvixe. I am using the newest version of ELGG (1.8.3 i believe) and i really have zero IT experience, although copying and pasting is not beyond me haha. ELGG has been very useful for me and easy for me to understand and im very appreciative of its creators, as im sure plenty of ppl in my position are. I especially like the idea of the wire, as i believe it is much more social for people to have a place where everyone can see everyone's posts and comments and participate in the same place. However, i find the way discussion takes place to be obnoxious, unorganized, and will be very unfamiliar to my target users, who these days are used to a more "facebook" or "myspace" designed discussion. i would like the wire, on my site to operate much the same as a facebook group, with posts containing their replies under them neatly and easy to comprehend, instead of this insane discussion format where everything is in "thread-mode" and comments are not attached to their posts, save for a separate thread window, etc etc. maybe a lot of you prefer this, but my question is: is there a plug-in or easy fix for me to make the wire, and any other discussion act more like a traditional, modern social networking site, such as facebook??? (preferably not in a theme, as i only have the skills to use something like the easy theme plugin to get my site to use the colors and logos i want) ill keep looking in the meantime, but id love for someone here to be able to direct me to the plug-in that would help me the most. thank you all :)

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.