Theme upgrades to 1.8.4

Just curious. I've been here a couple of day's now and really like what I'm seeing. However, I've been disappointed in the lack(respectfully said) of themes that have been ported to be used on the latest version of Elgg. Can anyone tell me has there been a port over date set for most themes to come up to the latest edition and be able to work on 1.8.4?

I'm having the most horrible luck getting themes to work with the exception of a couple. Most everything I'm finding works for 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 with only a couple working for 1.8.4.

I used CPANEL to install Elgg and of coarse it installs the latest version with no option to install an earlier version. I've been banging my head on the table because I'm trying to try themes out that say they work for 1.8 but just because it say's that does not mean it works with the latest version.

Just curious.....

Eric

• What do you mean? There are plenty of themes for elgg 1.8.4 Which themes did you find not compatible with elgg 1.8.4?

Rodolfo Hernandez
    Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• I belive the theming system for 1.8.4 is the same for all of 1.8

• OK...I'm new so maybe I'm doing something wrong but when I find one I like like lets take for instance this. I've downloaded the following themes:

1)Blue
    2)Cool Theme 1.8
    3)Facebook Theme (This one actually worked)
    4)Plus River Theme
    5)River Addon
    6)River Theme
    7)Simple BlueWhite Theme

Only the facebook theme worked. All the rest say that they are not valid Elgg 1.8 themes. Then it say's that the start.php file is not included. I have checked, double checked and triple checked that it was there prior to uploading(via filezilla) and once it's uploaded to the /mod folder. All instances show it there but I keep getting the "are not valid Elgg 1.8 themes".

So perhaps I'm doing something wrong and someone could enlighten me! :)

• Chances are that you are unzipping to the wrong place.

Double check that the start.php is located at:

/path-to-elgg/mod/theme_folder/start.php

Depending on how they were packaged if you just unzip it to the mod directory without checking you are probably ending up with something like:

/path-to-elgg/mod/SOME_OTHER_FOLDER/theme_folder/start.php

• Hmm...

Let me see if I can explain this so that it's understandable! I have two places that are in my file manager, those are /Public_hmtl and /www. My site get's uploaded right to /www. The only file that is for Elgg under /www is "mod". So I upload all my themes to the mod folder. If I try to upload anything to /public_html nothing happens....it's just the way it's been set up on the server... and in the "MOD" folder I see all the plugins that are installed on my site....so I have the right folder...

Do I need another folder somewhere? Yesterday I uploaded the facebook theme and it worked, trying to upload it today it's telling me that it's not valid....grrr.....

• " My site get's uploaded right to /www "

If this is so...
    The after a correct upload of -
    e.g. Theme PlugIn 'colors' (by SpeedySnail6)
    -- You should see the following structure
    and content.. watch the 'colors' folder !;-)

If you do not see such a structure -
    you are making some (elemantary) plugin unzip/ upload errors;

If you do see such a structure -
    but the 'invalid error' happens

-- **talk to your technical support **
    about 'ownership' and permissions issues
    or suphp issues on your server -
    and maybe they can (should be able to)
    get your situation mended.

/www/
       .htaccess
       ChangeLog
       CHANGES.txt
       CODING.txt
       CONTRIBUTORS.txt
       COPYRIGHT.txt
       htaccess_dist
       index.php
       install.php
       INSTALL.txt
       LICENSE.txt
       manifest.xml.php
       README.txt
       upgrade.php
       UPGRADE.txt
       version.php
    actions
          login.php
          logout.php
          register.php
          useradd.php
    documentation
    engine
    install
    js
    languages
    mod
       colors
             ColorsDir.php
             manifest.xml
             start.php
          languages
                 en.php
          views
                  admin
                         footer.php
                  css
                        admin.php
                        elgg.php
                        ie.php
                        ie6.php
                        ie7.php
                        lightbox.php
                        walled_garden.php
                     elements
                             buttons.php
                             components.php
                             core.php
                             forms.php
                             grid.php
                             helpers.php
                             icons.php
                             layout.php
                             misc.php
                             modules.php
                             navigation.php
                             OOCSS_LICENSE
                             reset.php
                             typography.php
                  forms
                          login.php
                          register.php

• I get the following(I tried installing the color them that you did above)

/www/
       .htaccess
       ChangeLog
       CHANGES.txt
       CODING.txt
       CONTRIBUTORS.txt
       COPYRIGHT.txt
       htaccess_dist
       index.php
       install.php
       INSTALL.txt
       LICENSE.txt
       manifest.xml.php
       README.txt
       upgrade.php
       UPGRADE.txt
       version.php

Maybe a bit more background? I'm installing Elgg from Cpanel Quick install. It asks where I want to install it. My website is http://exposingamerica.info so I leave it as such which is my main directory. i put in my admin email and site name and it installs it to /www. The only way I know it's there is by it adding "mod"

So, when I FTP a theme, I download it, unzip it to my desktop and add it to a folder that has Elgg themes in it. I open my filezilla and choose the /www directory and click on "mod". I then right click on the them I want to upload and choose upload and it sends it to the "mod" folder.

I don't believe this is a permissions issue, but after uploading and checking the files, everything is set to 755 except "manifest.xml" and "start.php" - those are set to 644.

I still think I'm doing something wrong but I cannot figure it out......

• I think I've SOLVED it!

I was just clicking the Theme under filename and uploading the entire folder, apparently I have to double click the filename, find the actual theme only and upload that. When I done that it gives me the opportunity to activate the theme!

Uploaded another them and it worked just fine. It does appear that I was making a elemantary Mistake!!!

Thanks DhrupDeScoop and others for the help! I gotta start doing this stuff everyday so I don't forget this!!!

• Excuse me sir, but I have visited your site right now and I see you are using my theme.

I have just looked at the source code and I can observe that you didn't change anything...

Because there is still the comment <!-- bisounours --> right after the <html> tag!

my advice : remove it to make your site look serious ;-)

(this also works for all the persons who have uploaded my theme without giving a single look at the code)

• Stan,

Thanks for at least looking. No I have not changed anything yet as I'm still playing with thing and getting use to elgg. I don't even think I know how to get to the source code to change this bisounours........I normally would not do anything with the code but I'll look into it...