changing e-mail address un-validates users!

Elgg 1.7.6

This has happened to three users now and the process is totally repeatable. If a user changes their e-mail address they receive the validation e-mail at the new address and click the link. When they try to log into Elgg they get an error message saying they need to respond to the verification e-mail.

I did search but the information I found was quite old (1000+ days old). Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks so much...

• I can't understand that, can you explain it again?

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• I will try. I have existing users in my Elgg site and if they change their e-mail address they can no longer log into my site. Steps to reproduce:

1) User logs into Elgg and changes their contact e-mail in their profile

2) User receives the validation e-mail from the Elgg site with instructions to reply to the e-mail to validate their address. The user replies to the e-mail.

3) User tries to log into Elgg and is not successful. When they try they get an error message saying that they have to confirm their new address by replying to the validation e-mail (which of course they have already done).

• Reply to the email?? Users don't have to reply to the email, they have to click on the validation link on the email.

Also, you are using an old version of elgg, try to update it.

Rodolfo Hernandez

• There is no validation link. The e-mail that arrives from the Elgg site says to "reply" to the message.

• Ok, Did you install a language pack? Did you edit the language file? On the re-validation email there should be a validation link. Probably you edited it by mistake

Rodolfo Hernandez

• As I said there is no link in the re-validation e-mail...just instructions to reply. We are going to look into upgrading the site to a newer release of the 1.7 branch. Looks like there are some issues with e-mail validation on older builds.

To my knowledge we have not installed any language packs or edited the language file.

• What version of 1.7 are you on? Please report back if upgrading to the latest solves the problem.

Also, in version 1.8 users are no longer un-validated when they change their email addresses.