problem in images , avatar or any uploaded photo

Hi

I'm (Soooo) new to elgg and i have a problem in avatar or any uploaded images , i've created a data directory with the name "data",

everytime i upload an image it didn't show up, instead i got aan empty  square  with link to image , and in avatar it says avatar successfully uploaded !, but not showing anything even in preview !

am i doing something wrong?!

• 1. profile avatars don't show up, new or old. if i turn off profile plugin then the avatars shows up. files plugin doesn't work also.

2. this affects both old and new

3. i had to restore my site due to my host had some failure

4. i posted a screen shot of the images being resized

5. no i'm not using profile manager plugin

• Is your data directory inside your elgg root folder / public_html folder (or corresponding document root folder) or below?

There's this discussion thread here: http://community.elgg.org/discussion/view/839038/profile-avatar-isnt-uploading-correctly

A user had the same problem than you, i.e. avatars only showing up when the profile plugin was disabled. The problem was caused by the data directory being withing the elgg root folder. When he moved the folder to another location outside (and most likely also adjusted the path to the data directory in the advanced site settings accordingly) the problem was solved.

• nope my data is outside of my elgg's path

path = var/www/html/

data = var/www/data/

• you restored yr db AND upgraded to 1.8.6 @same time ?!!!

• my database started off at 1.8.4 then 1.8.5 then 1.8.6

• yew not answer the question ;-)
    Ques = Did you restore your Site AND upgrade to Elgg.1.8.6 AT THE SAME TIME ?
    And.. your answer = Yes or No.

• Is /var/www/html or /var/www the document root folder of Apache on your server? Elgg says to create the data folder "outside the document root folder" and not only outside the Elgg root directory. Elgg root folder and document root folder can be the same directory but that's not necessarily always the case.

Is you data folder included in the directory list of the open_basedir php variable in case this variable is set on your server?

Have you run upgrade.php of Elgg? Try to run it again to see if it helps.

You said that resized image files are in the data folder. Are the resized files of older uploads or do also new uploaded avatar pictures show the resized files?

• dhrup i restored and upgraded to 1.8.6 at the same time.

iionly elgg root is /var/www/html/ and my data is outside, located at /var/www/data/

open_basedir is disabled

new uploaded avatar pictures show the resized files

does it matter if i restore and upgrade at the same time? i'm not sure what version is my back up database, i think it was 1.8.5 but i don't think that should matter. i'll try other versions and report back

• @Cim:
    okay.. here's the deal -- site restore & 1.8.6 upgrade at SAME time = bad bad news.
    now ==> it is soo hard for you to figure which of the two big pieces is causing the problem.
    does it matter ? yep ! one step at a time...
    one step at one time!
    you threw in 2 different ingredients at the same time
    and now -- what is causing the bad taste ?
    kinda makes all the past 2 days' discussions meaningless while u r tryng to chase *two* code-bases chipmunks' tails..
    * you shud have only only only done the restore and then screwed with *that only - until everything looked ok..
    try to recover to one known devil-point - then fix that.
    you got a "bad broken" site ? you definitely not need v1.8.6 right now at all!

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.