Ok, I'm sure the answer to this is here but, I've been searching for over a hour and just don't have the time to keep it up. I Just installed elgg on my hostgator and tried to upload a avatar. and this is what I get.

Fatal error: Call to a member function open() on a non-object in /home/jgilbert/public_html/elgg/engine/classes/ElggFile.php on line 207

Please help. And keep in mind that I'm not a php pro.

Thank you

• Did you install any third party plugin? Which version of elgg are you using?

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• I'm using 1.8.6 And I have no third party plugins. I just installed it. I have changed anything except the logo.

• @Mark Randall hostgator is our server's, many of elgg site's is installed on it and working prefectly, please upgrade your elgg 1.8.6 to 1.8.8

• It's rather a server config issue. Check out if the GD php extension is installed and running on your server. Also, check if the open_basedir directive is used on your server. If yes, you need to include the Elgg data directory within the open_basedir list. Also check if the php variables upload_filesize and post_max_filesize in Elgg's .htaccess are large enough for the avatars (or other files) to be uploaded. Even if the variables are set to a good size in .htaccess, you also might want to make sure if the server might set hard limits (at lower values) in the server config or if the values defined in .htaccess are even used (for example when your server uses suphp you can't set php variables in .htaccess).