Plugin Errors

Hello All,

I am running Elgg 1.8.1 on an Ubuntu server.

I upgraded to Elgg's latest version and got these messages in the Admin section of the site:

phpmailer (guid: 40) cannot start and has been deactivated. Reason: Cannot include start.php for plugin phpmailer (guid: 40) at /var/www/elgg/mod/phpmailer.

purity_theme (guid: 1431) cannot start and has been deactivated. Reason: Cannot include start.php for plugin purity_theme (guid: 1431) at /var/www/elgg/mod/purity_theme.

I couldn't figure it out, so I reverted back to 1.8.1 but the messages were still there. I changed permissions to 777 and dowloaded and installed the latest versions of the plugins but the messgaes remain.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Permissions 777 for plugin files is totally wrong (security!). Revert back to the original permissions.

Dismiss the error messages to see if they re-appear. I suspect it's always the same message and not a new message to appear each time. Check what happens when you enable/disable these plugins. Does it work to enable them? Normally, the plugins should not act this way during / after an upgrade. You could also disable these plugins (or 3rd party plugins althogether) during the upgrade and only enable them again once finished. I would really advice to upgrade to the latest Elgg version (again: security!... and many, many bugfixes).

• Thanks so much - could you let me know what the correct permissions are?

Thanks again

• Just to add - i never got 775 to work with an Ubuntu server...

• 755 for directories
    • 644 for files
    • 775 for data directory