Fatal error, admin setup, during installation

In the last step of the installation, creating the admin account, I get this error after clicking ok.

An unrecoverable error has occurred and has been logged. Contact the site administrator with the following information: Exception #1357221371.

I have tried 3 times, with the same results. Deleting the entire ftp folder each time and uploading it again and starting over.

• I am not talking about data folder. I am talking about where you put the elgg files for installation ?
    Is it inside www.yourdomain.com or www.yourdomain.com/folder ?

• Yes I am greatful for your help. It's installed in a domain/subfolder so I'm asking what I should do about the data folder if I try installing it at the root of the domain. Sorry if that was not clear.

I already have an Elgg running at the same shared hosting service, also in a subfolder.

• I just did a little research. Options +FollowSymLinks seems necessary for mod_rewrite to work properly. mod_rewrite is a requirement for Elgg. For Options +FollowSymLinks  to work the Apache server must be configured accordingly, e.g. "Allowoveride All" must be set for the Elgg install directory. Ask your provider about that. If they won't configure the server accordingly you need to change your provider.

Subfolder installation might be another question. If you installed into a subfolder, you need to configure RewriteBase in Elgg's .htaccess accordingly (it's explained there what you need to do). But I don't think that this alone would solve the issue.

• Excuse me , I was reading in hurry!

I already have an Elgg running at the same shared hosting service, also in a subfolder.

If so what I said cannot be the issue.

• (the message I sent to www.gigahost.dk/en I also put a link to this forum thread, so I think they will be reading everything here when they react)

• The data folder should not only not be placed into your Elgg folder but also not anywhere within your www root directory. The www root directory is accessible via the Internet (that's necessary for the Elgg files but a bad idea for the data that goes into the data directory).

It's not necessary to install Elgg into a subdirectory only to be able to create the data directory one level higher. This is still the wrong place.

The path to your www root directory is most something like /home/username/public_html or /home/username/www on your server (the exact path can be different of course). You would need to create the data directory for example as /home/username/data then.

• Does Elgg have it's own error logging?

I mean in relation to the "Exception #1357221371"

• hmm;)

'elgg's own logging' - the answer yes or no won't help the problem(s).

r u still @ yr 'unrecoverable error has occurred..' or something new @now ?

• A programmer friend told me to ask about it.

Now there is another error prior to setting up admin.

• Elgg writes into the php error log on your server. You might not have a separate php error log though. Often the php error log entries are included in the Apache error log instead. Look in the home directory of your server if you find any error logs there or maybe you can access them via the administration panel of your server, e.g. Cpanel or similar.

The Exception numbers are unix timestamps, i.e. the time and date the error occured. You can search the log for entries around that time (and I think the exeption number itself is also included in the error entry).