Changing Themes. Will it effect my Plugins installed?

I still use the default Elgg theme, nothing wrong with it, but wouldn't mind installing and checking out some other themes available. My question is, if I install a new theme will it effect all the plugins I have installed?

I have a significant amount of plugins running, probably too many, lol. Will some plugins not work? And are there any downfalls to switching up from the default theme?

Just alittle worried that if I attempt a theme change that there is going to be issues, of course I would back everything up first but just wanted to know from you guys out there who have experience with different themes and tons of plugins installed. Thanks.

Kim

• Shouldn't be a problem, you may find some plugins define their own css for special markup that they output and it might clash with the theme, but otherwise there's not much harm in trying.

• In Elgg a theme is kind of a plugin like any other plugin to some extend. Therefore, the theme plugin itself could have bugs or other issues. Unlike other types of plugins you can normally only use 1 single "theme plugin" at a time (Elgg's default theme not counting). Normally, you should place the theme plugin at the bottom of the plugin list. Then it should work best. As Matt said, some plugins might extend the Elgg core css (relying on Elgg's default theme). Therefore, it could happen that something might look faulty when using another theme. But it sure is worth trying a theme. If something is not right you can always disable it again - and maybe fix it to be compatible with any css markup of other plugins.

• Alrighty, thanks Matt & iionly for clearing this up. I like to ask questions first instead of just jumping right into downloading and installing themes. Wasn't really concerned about how the site looked since the default theme is not that bad, but I am going to experiment with a few and test to see what happens probably lateron tonight. Have a good one!