languages and system cache issue in elgg 1.8.12

when system cache is turned on elgg only see english language. Others languages translation are not shown anymore in Languages Setting: if the system cach is off i can switch with no problem between English and French. When the system cache is on if i select english language then the French Language selection isn't shown anymore in the Languages Setting option.

i thought this pb was resolved in the 1.8.12 version.

thanks

• First of all...thank you very much for your time i really appreciate.

yeah it works ! whoau

and i discovered something...cause on my web site i had more than 60% translated and it didn't work...but the main fr.php was in my theme plugin cause trying to be "good" i didn't to touch the elgg core (it is my policy). now i move the core fr.php in the language folder of the elgg core and it works.so My conclusion is with the cache "on" a file translation need to be installed in the core language folder to be detected: something like that.

Cool thanks a lot....I still have my internal 500 error but it is another story and mind you my web site is running now for a month and i have this pb only for few days...I m waiting for arvixe point of you but it's taking ages..

• my language works perfectly now on my localhost install and on my arvixe install :) i can run my website with the cache on !!!! but unfortunatly i have still got those 500 error...and on my add on domain for the test i have installed a fresh new elgg without my plugin, just an unzipped new install i have those 500 errors some times to times on the css or script loading..if i reload the page several times (2 or 3 times) everything is loaded correctly..

thanks again for your help

• Regarding the 500 Internal error it could be caused by too many mysql queries or http requests for the server to handle. Elgg is a resource-hungry beast sometimes. I don't know if your hoster could tell you if this might be the reason. Maybe some optimizations of the server config can help.

It's not necessarily needed for the language files to be saved in the core languages folders. You can take a look at my German language pack plugin (yep a plugin): http://community.elgg.org/plugins/788318/r13/elgg-18-german-language-pack. You can take this plugin as a starting point and organize your translations in the same way as a "French language pack" plugin.

• well considering the 500 erroer i didn't touch anything just writing email to Arvixe...and now since few hours it works ...what can I say just mentioning that you try to start a business you are plannig to move to a business plan and you are looking for some help and maybe try to search for other solution and now i received and email "can you tell us how to reproduce the problem" but i can't cause it works and i sent 3 replies beforenwith some screen shots of FF with Firebug showing the internal 500 error. and my question was really open it is from you server or my code ? try to understand..but now i feel like no answer..

• @Fabien I have the same problem, works perfect on localhost. and hosting "error 500" in the chrome console.

GET http://www.notwall.com/cache/js/default/elgg.1359065173.js 500 (Internal Server Error) all:25
    1. Uncaught ReferenceError: elgg is not defined notifier.1359065173.js:12
    1. Uncaught ReferenceError: elgg is not defined base.1359065173.js:1
    1. Uncaught ReferenceError: elgg is not defined base.1359065173.js:1
    1. Uncaught ReferenceError: elgg is not defined all:39
    1. Uncaught ReferenceError: elgg is not defined developers.js:2
    1. Uncaught ReferenceError: elgg is not defined autocomplete.1359065173.js

refresh the page 2 or 3 times and disappears

• @mariano: the errors could be caused by some 3rd party plugin you are using. Or it might be for the same reason I already mentioned earlier to Fabien: too much load on your server / restriction on connection limits for Apache / Mysql.

• @iionly my server is "arvixe personal class" 

the server has many problems, I recommend that server

• I guess you rather meant "the server has many problems, I don't recommend that server"???

Well, it's a shared server hosting after all. And it has been said many many times in many many discussion threads before that Elgg is a resource hungry beast that easily is to much for any shared server.

• Well I have different mail exchanges with Arvixe about this problem..they couldn't find anything...then the error didn't occur anymore. I ask Arvixe some explanations and this is the answer:

"The server itself doesn't have any admin notes to suggest any changes, however it is possible a change was made to fix another users website which also fixed yours.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to replicate the issue so couldn't let you know what the error was."

I have noticed that they added a new php.ini in my public_html directory (the one i was using is in the cgi-bin directory)..so they did try few things.

The error occurs again since a week but less frequently...Maybe the personnal Arvixe plan is a bit "light" for elgg ressources..I don't know...but i m going to move my website to Inmotion (more expensive but "apparently" more reliable) I hope it's going to resolve the pb.