Help, elgg 1.8.12 and MIME types. ARVIXE hosting

hello I'm using as a server arvixe and I have problems with mime types,

All files are detected as plain text.

and arvixe not find a solution.

elgg 1.8.12

php 5.2.17

• Upgrade to php 5.3 - or ask Arvixe to upgrade your server for you.

• "as" what?

Php 5.3 has additional methods of mime type identification that are not available in php 5.2. If your server is running with php 5.3 Elgg can use (and does use them indeed) these additional methods. So, mime type identification within Elgg should generally work better if php 5.3 is available (just use the latest php 5.3.X).

With php 5.3 you shouldn't have at least the problem that ALL files get identified as plain text only. If it still does not work it's rather due to some other server misconfiguration or a 3rd party Elgg pluign that interferes.

MP3 files still might not get identified correctly in any case even with php 5.3. This is due to no standard file header being used in MP3s. Especially, if the MP3s contain ID tags this could result in failed identification.

If you are on a shared server on Arvixe, you most likely can't do anything as it's rather unlikely that you can upgrade php on your own and Arvixe most likely won't do it either. But if you are on a VPS or dedicated server it should be possible to upgrade to php 5.3. Either you can do that yourself in WHM (or whatever admin tool is used) or Arvixe should do it for you.

• Hi Mariano,

We are working as fast as we can to find the issue with your account. PHP 5.3.x is being properly activated.

As explained here:

http://blog.arvixe.com/how-to-fix-mime-type-problems-in-elgg-1-8/

PHP 5.3.x is active for the domain, even if it does not shows up on the Cpanel. Please be patient.

Mime type detection works under our any of our Elgg Hosting Plan. We have php 5.2 to support users who still rely on that php version. If you apply what the blog post written by me says, you can use php 5.3.x without any issues.

Please deactivate any third party plugin and then upload a file again. If the problem doesn't happens, it means there's a plugin conflict.

Thanks

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• Hi Michele!

Yes, under Arvixe you have to add that line to the .htaccess to use PHP 5.3.x

I contacted you via PM with more details.

Regards,

Rodolfo Hernandez

• hola rj intente hacer todo lo que me recomendaste pero aun nada que podra ser ?

• voy al panel de administracion selecciono php 5.3 y me da erro interno del servidor :(

• @mariano I will contact you via PM right now

Te contactare via PM

Rodolfo Hernandez

• @Mariano

I went to your site, uploaded an image and a zip file and it was properly recognized.

Fui a tu sitio, subi una imagen y un archivo zip y fue reconocido apropiadamente:

http://www.notwall.com/file/all

If you need further assistance, please let me know as soon as possible.

Rodolfo Hernandez

• gracias rj eres lo max :) todo funciona ok