500 Internal Server Error

Hello people,

i have problems with my facebooka1.com, when you surf it in any moment appears an 500 Internal Server Error i desactivate many mods but the problem follows.

any idea?

Regards,

Robert.

• You must protect your site against spammers. I am seeing a lot of spam. Spammers waste very useful server resources, and that's probably why you are getting son many 500 errors

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• I believe rjcalifornia might be correct.  Your site is very nice looking but it does appear to be overran with spammers. Even with all the anti-spam plugins I am finding it still takes some effort to defend a site from spammers.  I've found a consistant effort after a time helps to stop it because all their IPs end up banned or they notice you are reporting them to stopforumspam.com, etc and they stop.  I use these plugins to help: Spam Login Filter, moderate-comments (to secure speak freely), Honeypot, Elgg Captcha.  For Spam Login Filter make sure to register for the APIs to report the spammers as it helps greatly and it helps the rest of us too. :)  You want to "delete and report" the spammers.  there should be a button for it once you click admin options after the Spam Login Filter is installed. :)  If you leave the spam users in place along with all their spam content then your database and resource usage will be wasted.

• "facebooka1.com"... while it might seem attractive to have such a domain name I don't know if this is really a good idea:

1. Spammers may find it also very attractive to post their spam on a site with a domain name very similar to a well-known social network site.
    2. Facebook may find it not very funny at all if another site (especially a social network site) uses a domain name so very similar to their trademark. They already sued other sites / companies in the past that "violated" their trademark for example by using a domain name like "...book". Do you really want to risk to be sued?

Regarding the 500 errors: which kind of server do you use (shared, VPS, dedicated)? If your server plan is not powerful enough you might have problems with too much server load resulting in 500 errors even with only a few users online regardless if there are spammers around or not. Especially, the chat plugin you are using might already result in too much server load alone.

• Thanks a lot of for your help people.

Ok i´ll install the anti-spam plugin.

Already i have a Dedicated Server and only with 3 Gb monthly transfer of my 1000 Gb limit AND before when i only had a shared hosting it was slow but never give me a Internal Server Error, i noticed it when i installed a wrong MOD i don´t remember the name and already i am dowloading the error log file for some help.

About trademarks, i investigated about others social networks as facebookperuano.com and was using the same logo and main page so was abuse of branding. i talked with the owner of facebookperuano.com and about it and he said me that you can create idonlikefacebook.com or similar but never use logo or similar pages... well i am going to fight. already i have 650 000 users in my elgg_users, i believe the adventure has no price.

Regards.

• good luck with your 'going to fight..' we gave up and changed our domain name' after abt 15 months -- we've got no money to fight back. take my advice - unless you've got $millions...

• Hi Dhrup,

which was your domain name?

• i had fakebooc for a while.. lol.. then realised uniqueness is unlimited

• @robert:

exact domain is unimportant.
    long as facebookXXXXXXX is in there --
    they'll go for you!
    unless you're you're game for some $$$ fines' threat
    and to get this message - we require that
    you transfer the facebookxxxxxxx.com website to Facebook

regards...

• @uras:

fakebooc is actually a very neat one !;-)