Elgg 1.8.14 loading very slow and consuming resources

I was running my site in 1.8.4 in a shared hosting with good speed. But when i upgraded the site to 1.8.12/13/14 the site became ridiculously slow. My shared hosting provider block my account and told me that it is causing the server problem as it is consuming too much resources. I then purchased a VPS plan but with no result, the site is too slow.  When I gone back to 1.8.4 the speed is ok but some problem with profile pic and image as any of the previously loaded pic shows there. Permission of data directory is ok, path, dataroot etc. on DB is correct, timezone is also ok.

• Who is your hosting? How many users do you have? Which plugins do you have? Did you try using some plugins such as 'gallicache' or 'LazyLoad' to optimize elgg?

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• @ rjcalifornia rjcalifornia  thanks for resposing quickly. In shared hosting there were 400 + users but hardly 5-7 werre in activity. the site was loading fine. But when I upgraded to 1.8.12 and onwards the site became slow even without activating any plugin. An no such plugins used by me.

• That's rather strange. An upgrade like that should not increase the server load. 1.8.12 and above seems to be a little bit faster, and with the amount of people connected, doesn't seem like it would lead to suspension.

VPS can handle a whole lot more. Are you using a custom theme?

Are you hosting with Arvixe?

Rodolfo Hernandez

• No I am not hosting with Arvixe. Again if i go back to 1.4.8 the site becomes faster in VPS but in case of 1.8.12 its very slow. I tried again and again.  Is there any prob with database?

• Hmmm It could be the database or may be a bad upgrade. It is hard to tell.

Rodolfo Hernandez