Problem installing elgg1.8

I was installing elgg 1.8beta1 on localhost to try out its function and the first step gave me this responce. how do i make this change to enable the installation proceed, i hope it wont affect my 1.7.6 version which is already working with this same server on local host

Requirements check
Your server failed the requirements check. After you have fixed the below issues, refresh this page. Check the troubleshooting links at the bottom of this page if you need further assistance.
PHP
arg_separator.output must be & for Elgg to work and your server's value is &

• kxx4 - you should have experienced problems with your 1.7.6 site if arg_separator was set like that. Occasional token errors?

You can change it for your entire server in php.ini as Evan points out or in the .htaccess file in Elgg's root for just Elgg.

• @ Evan & CASh: Tnx 4 Coming promptly....I'll make this change, and I hope I can make this new installation connecting version v1.8beta1 site to the database of v1.7.6 that am already using as test site on my local host ,or do i create a fresh database for the new v1.8 beta1 installation

@CAsh: Yes I get that error responce some times...

• It's up to you on whether you create a new database or point it at the old one. Just remember that 1.8 upgrades the database in a way that 1.7 won't like so it is a one way upgrade. If you want to run both sites, definitely create a new database.

• CASH Tanx 4 this advice I'll get a new database

• @Cash: after changing this qeruirement check is still showing the previous error. Please help me. 

I changed following line to php.ini file

arg_separator.output = "&"

is it ok?