Upgrading to latest version

Is it possible to upgrade from v 1.6.1 to 1.8.16 in one step? I.e. is there a need to go up in increments e.g. 1.6 to 1.7 & then 1.8 etc. or is it OK to go from my current 1,6.1 version by upgrading to the latest 1.8.16 version?

Thanks,

G.

• No it is not ok, you first update to 1.7 then 1.8

• No, you have to go version by version. That's the safest way to upgrade.

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• Yes, rjcalifornia is 100% correct you need to upgrade version by version.

• Thanks all! Sounds unanimous! That's what I'll have to do then.

One more small query. Does that mean going through EACH version progressively? E.g. 1.7.0/ .1/ .2/ .3 etc. etc. If so I'll be upgrading till Kingdom Come if I have to go through from 1.6.1 - 1.8.16! Or can I go 1.7.0/ 1.8.0?

My 1.6.1 version works fine at http://gardenerschat-shed.net/ BUT it's as leaky as an old bucket when it comes to rogue registrants & spammers & the solutions for v 1.6.1 are extremely limiited by now, when it comes to selving this huge problem. Elgg seems to have a perennial problem in that department.

Thanks,

G.

• You have to follow the upgrade process from 1.6 to 1.7, then perform the upgrade from 1.7 to 1.7.10 and then to 1.8

Keep in mind that you MUST create a backup of your current elgg network before starting the upgrade process.

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• Thanks. So can I go:

1.6.1 to 1.7 in one upgrade, or do I have to do 1.6.1 - 1.6.2 - 1.6.3 - 1.6.4 (3 security updates) - 1.7.0 - 1.7.10 - 1.8.0?

This is the crux of my query, are you able to 'leap-frog' some versions without having to do multiple upgrades from each & EVERY version to the next, up to 1.8? From 1.6.1 to 1.8 would require 13 upgrades if EVERY version is required. That seems a bit ridiculous! However I've spent too much time on this site to make a blunder.

G.

• You should just be able to go 1.6 -> 1.7 (most recent) -> 1.8 (most recent)

RJ: "1.7 to 1.7.10" was this a typo or is there an important upgrade with 1.7.10 that can't be done in one step?

• Definitely backup all three essentials: code, database, data directory.

As for the upgrade, I think the core team would consider it a bug if someone can't directly upgrade from 1.6. I upgraded a site from 1.6 to 1.8 and the only problems I had were incompatible plugins, but you're going to get those anyway.

Can anyone name a specific problem he would run into?

• That's interesting Steve! Sounds far more 'civilised'! I'll wait for any responses you get before I start pitching into things.

The database I've backed up from the server I use - they have an utility in cPanel to do that very easily. The "code" - I presume you mean the code from the initial downloaded version of 1.6.1? Or do I backup the uploaded code that's currently in use on the server - is it kept in one specific directory on the server? Finally which directory is the "data" directory?

Ta,

G.

• Admin advanced settings has both path (codebase) and dataroot (user files, etc.). You need both. If you installed third party plugins, they won't be included in your initial install files, nor will engine/settings.php. Your dataroot will be outside the web root and depending on your setup, may be writeable/readable only by the Apache user, so make sure your backup and restore strategy works.