Let us make an openinviter plugin

Hi, let us get together and make a good, reliable openinviter plugin. I am ready to help. I have installed, updated the deprecated functions and methods, and updated the openinviter libraries of four different openinviter plugins: 

1. http://community.elgg.org/plugins/384461/3.183/contacts-importer-plugin-for-elgg-18x 

2. http://community.elgg.org/plugins/384951/0.2/import-contacts-from-web-mails-and-other-social-networks 

3. http://community.elgg.org/plugins/694331/1.9.4.0/openinviter-invitefriends 

4. http://community.elgg.org/plugins/384731/1.0%20beta%203/omni-inviter-10 

However, non of them is functional. I am still working on them to get at least one of them working like any other bundled plugin. Social networking without invitation is setting up a wedding hall with hundreds of chairs and food but failing to invite anyone and getting married with no invitees. Not having an invitation option for users defeats the whole purpose of having a "social networking" site. Invitation is the heart and sould of social networking. It is one of the puzzles in the world that always make you wonder. Equally puzzling is the fact that the openinviter developers have refused to make an elgg openinviter plugin. They have created plugins for about a hundred CMS softwares (such as Jumla and Wordpress) but not for Elgg. The majority of the CMS softwares are much less popular than elgg and yet they have plugins while Elgg does not. I have made a special request to the openinviter developers and also sent them email to make a plugin for Elgg but my request and many other people's countless requests (see their forums) have landed on deaf ears. I think there is some politics going on between Openinviter and Elgg. 

• I don't know why it is but I had it with 1.7 a couple years ago (it only partly worked) and had it on a .ning site before that (it worked perfectly).  It sure would help us all if we had one that worked!!!

• i agree..
    which one of the ones that you have linked is most usable? are you able to be more specific about what is and is not working?

•  

@ura soul   

Only the http://community.elgg.org/plugins/384461/3.183/contacts-importer-plugin-for-elgg-18x is recent enough to use (and it is a year and a half old). 

I never found out if it works because I couldn't get a useable copy of the openinviter library (there is none specific for Elgg and the 'General - hosted version', as specified in the plugin's Read Me, just gives an error when unzipped...I tried a new download every few days for weeks and, finally, just gave up).

Like I said before I had this on my 1.7 site and it did work for individual email adresses but never for the other social sites.  It's sad because on an earlier .ning site (where openinviter DID work perfectly) I had hundreds of members invite all their friends (one invited over 1200 at once) and, in my opinion, there is no better way to get new members than with invites from existing ones.

I'm ready for this as soon as there is one that works. 

• possibly this is an example of what richard stillman was speaking of regarding 'open source' vs. 'free software'.. i will explore and let you know what i find.

• i have downloaded the plugin and also the 'general' code from the open inviter site..
    i found that the vendor folder of the plugin code is empty.. so it was never going to work.. strangey.
    i copied the general code into the plugin and i now see a login panel in the import panel in elgg..
    however, there is an install process that needs to be run through that the plugin does not trigger as it is.
    i will explore further.

• ok i have run the postinstall.php file

i see:

Checking username and private key... *OK*
    Checking PHP version... *OK*
    Checking DOMDocument support... *OK*
    Checking transport method... libcurl is installed. Using cURL to handle requests
    SQLite is NOT installed. Unable to keep stats. This will not affect the OpenInviter modules since they will run without keeping any stats.
    Checking write permisions... /tmp is writable. Using /tmp to store cookie files and logs
    Checking for new versions of OpenInviter... Your OpenInviter software is up-to-date
    Checking Abv... *OK*
    Checking AOL... *OK*
    Checking Apropo... *OK*
    Checking Atlas... *OK*
    Checking Aussiemail... *OK*
    Checking Azet... *OK*
    Checking Bigstring... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Bordermail... *OK*
    Checking Canoe... *OK*
    Checking Care2... *OK*
    Checking Clevergo... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Doramail... *OK*
    Checking Evite... *OK*
    Checking FastMail... *OK*
    Checking 5Fm... *OK*
    Checking Freemail... *OK*
    Checking Gawab... *OK*
    Checking GMail... *OK*
    Checking GMX.net... *OK*
    Checking Grafitti... *OK*
    Checking Live/Hotmail... *OK*
    Checking Hushmail... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Inbox.com... *OK*
    Checking India... *OK*
    Checking IndiaTimes... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Inet... *OK*
    Checking Interia... *OK*
    Checking KataMail... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Kids... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Libero... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking LinkedIn... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Lycos... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Mail2World... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Mail.com... *OK*
    Checking Mail.in... *OK*
    Checking Mail.ru... *OK*
    Checking Meta... *OK*
    Checking MSN... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Mynet.com... *OK*
    Checking Netaddress... *OK*
    Checking Nz11... *OK*
    Checking O2... *OK*
    Checking OperaMail... *OK*
    Checking Plaxo... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Pochta... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Popstarmail... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Rambler... *OK*
    Checking Rediff... *OK*
    Checking Sapo.pt... *OK*
    Checking Techemail... *OK*
    Checking Terra... *OK*
    Checking Uk2... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Virgilio... *OK*
    Checking Walla... *OK*
    Checking Web.de... *OK*
    Checking Wp.pt... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Xing... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Yahoo!... *OK*
    Checking Yandex... *OK*
    Checking YouTube... *OK*
    Checking Zapakmail... *OK*
    Checking Badoo... *OK*
    Checking Bebo... *OK*
    Checking Bookcrossing... *OK*
    Checking Brazencareerist... *OK*
    Checking Cyworld... *OK*
    Checking Eons... *OK*
    Checking Facebook... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Faces... *OK*
    Checking Famiva... *OK*
    Checking Fdcareer... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Flickr... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Flingr... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Flixster... *OK*
    Checking Friendfeed... *OK*
    Checking Friendster... *OK*
    Checking Hi5... *OK*
    Checking Hyves... *OK*
    Checking Kincafe... *OK*
    Checking Konnects... *OK*
    Checking Koolro... *OK*
    Checking Last.fm... *OK*
    Checking Livejournal... *OK*
    Checking Lovento... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Meinvz... *OK*
    Checking Mevio... *OK*
    Checking Motortopia... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Multiply... *OK*
    Checking Mycatspace... *OK*
    Checking Mydogspace... *OK*
    Checking MySpace... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking NetLog... *OK*
    Checking Ning... *OK*
    Checking Orkut... *OK*
    Checking Perfspot... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Plazes... *OK*
    Checking Plurk... *OK*
    Checking Skyrock... *OK*
    Checking Tagged... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Twitter... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Vimeo... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Vkontakte... *NOT OK* - This plugin might not work correctly on your system
    Checking Xanga... *OK*
    Checking Xuqa... *OK*

WARNING: Delete postinstall.php before running OpenInviter. Also please note that you cannot run postinstall.php again for 2 minutes.

• looking through the openinvitor forum i see that the most recent posts are all spam and the only blog is dated 2009.. does anyone know if this service is maintained at all?

• a new replacement version:
    http://www.cloudsponge.com/

edit: ah its proprietry - not free

• @ ura soul, I had done everything you have done by following the instructions (e.g., copying openinviter's content and pasting it to the empty openinviter folder of the openinviter plugins, running the postinstall and then deleting it) and the postinstall report was "OK" for all. However, many of the social networks and email providers were not working and that is what I meant by "not working". I think the problem is with the downloaded Openinviter script. I had contacted Openinviter, but they haven't replied yet. 

Ura Soul, do you have the name of the new replacement at cloudsponge?

• Nevermind. It is a script for a service.