Installing elgg 1.9 subdirectory

I installed elgg in a subdirectory, but it is not working. When I try to log in or go to any page I get a 404 or get redirected to homepage.

Any ideas? I know it is on beta but I want to try this version right now

• I'm using Zend Server on windows.  Which I think is Apache 2.2.22, php 5.4.x, and MySQL 5.5

• I've fixed my problem by creating a virtual host. 

Doesn't solve the subdirectory problem. I tried a few things, but I couldn't get it to work.  Do you have php as cgi or as an apache module?  This zend server is cgi.

• I also tested this yesterday. I installed 1.9 to a subdirectory with the default .htaccess (I didn't even set the RewriteBase). Everything works fine.

• @Juho if you don't mind can you post your htaccess file or coding so we can compare urs to ours and see where the coding went wrong! 

• @LT I am using the default Elgg 1.9 development version (Github master branch). I haven't made any changes to the .htaccess nor any other files.

• yes i know just by some reason wanted to see if theres something different from what was generated on mine or others cause it just dont make sense?

• ok so i've tried reinstalling as sub folder "Elgg" and "elgg" and still same issue links dirrect back to root index but status bar shows correct link???

texasburnout.com/elgg/  is the location of elgg 1.9

• @Juho: it's hard to believe that it worked for you even without adjusting RewriteBase in .htaccess. I've just tried what happens when I don't set the RewriteBase and I got the expected result, i.e. missing CSS style on login page and 404 errors on any other sites. Are you sure the RewriteBase is not already configured somewhere else or have you tried 1.9dev with the commits of issue #6015 already included (automatic guessing of RewiteBase).

@LT (maybe addressing others with the redirect problem, too): what's in the main root folder of your site? Is there already another .htaccess there? Maybe some other RewriteRules interfere. Apart from that I'm afraid only a core developer might have the necessary information to say if there's maybe some dependency on some additional extensions / libraries on the server that Elgg 1.9 needs while 1.8 works without. I know that Elgg 1.8 had some problems on some servers as the installation rewrite test required curl (or was it exec?) to be installed. Some linux distributions have the necessary package installed by default while others have not (e.g. Ubuntu). Maybe Elgg 1.9 has a similar issue, i.e. some package not being installed.

• @iionly I have a wordpress site on the root folder of my site, so there's another .htaccess However elgg 1.8 works with no issues there. To be clear, any version of elgg 1.8 (1.8 - 1.8.16) works in a subdirectory, with a wordpress installation on root folder.

Elgg 1.9 "seems to work" locally (xampp) on subdirectories. Any elgg core develper can help with this?

• I've stumbled across a solution (works for me anyway)...

2nd line from the end of .htaccess is: RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php/$1 [L,QSA]
    I've added a question mark after 'index.php' like this:

RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php?/$1 [L,QSA]