Change "Address of the Bookmark" as non-mandatory

Hi Friends,

Is it possible to change "Address of the Bookmark" as non-mandatory field?

Actually I would like to provide only one plugin/field to share blogs or bookmarks...

• What are you going to bookmark then?

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• Then I can use the same plugin for bookmark & blog as well....

• Could explain this further?

Rodolfo Hernandez

• Hi rjcalifornia, thanks for reply...

We can't publish Bookmark without any web address, right?

I would like to have "Address of the Bookmark" as a optional field... If it's possible to publish a Bookmark with or without web adress then I can use this plugin for blog-post as well.

• Why don't you clone the blog plugin instead?

Rodolfo Hernandez

• It's good idea, let me try then.... BTW thanks...

• You could alternatively simply store a # if the field is left blank and make the form field itself optional.

I'm increasingly drawn to this idea too -  one of the really big problems that I have with Elgg is that the plugin approach means we tend to focus way too much on tools and not enough on the big picture of what people want to do with them, which can make the experience fragmented and confusing to users. Having used Elgg a lot for 7-8 years I still often have problems deciding which tool to use for a particular post. Though some things merit their own distinct interfaces, there are very few big differences between the big four-  bookmarks, files, pages and blogs. I've been working up a spec to allow conversion between them but it would be better if there were, at least for the most part, just a single 'post' plugin that covers all options. Shouldn't be too hard to do, I think, simply by combining the major tools and providing a 'subtype' dropdown to select the appropriate action, combined with a bit of JQuery to show and hide relevant fields. There are some potential issues with community plugins like file_tools, bookmark_tools etc that might make it a little complex if the existing subtypes are not retained.

I've been looking at PeoplePods (a competing O/S social software system, nothing reusable) for inspiration, which uses a single interface for pretty much everything, starting with a wire-like interface that can become a blog, with optional files, bookmarks, etc. A nice approach.