A version of ELGG being sold on CodeCanyon

Just wanted to share that there is someone selling a copy of ELGG (with paid add-ons) on CodeCanyon: [Link removed by admin]

A demo of the software can be viewed here: [Link removed by admin]

Copyright issue(s).

• looks like elgg but it doesn't seem like elgg. either he copied the functions of elgg or it is elgg and removed anything elgg related.

• Yes. You can also look at the code. What piqued my curiosity was looking at the URL's and then finding a link to download "more skins". Does this code look familair?:

<?php
    /**
     * Right Side Layout add-on
     * @package SocialStrap add-on
     * @author Milos Stojanovic
     * @copyright 2013 [Link removed by admin]
     */

$this->attach('hook_app_init', 10, function ($app)
    {

$view = $app['view'];

$view->addScriptPath(realpath(dirname(__FILE__) . '/rightlayout'));
    });

=============================

Here is the *code* inside of a file named "init.php":

<?php
    $name = 'Right Side Layout';
    $version = '1.0';
    $author = 'Milos Stojanovic';
    $description = 'copyright 2013 [Link removed by admin]';

Here is my discussion with the author selling the code on codecanyon:

Chappy

33 minutes ago Flag

No, I am saying you have violated ELGG copyright and CodeCanyon’s TOS.

Default-user

This comment has been flagged as inappropriate and will be reviewed by one of our staff.

Default-user

This comment has been flagged as inappropriate and will be reviewed by one of our staff.

alcalbg

alcalbg Author

30 minutes ago Flag

Ok, you can say anything you like, I don’t mind, but when you are using names you are promoting that other software.

Default-user

Chappy

20 minutes ago Flag

READ: community.elgg.org/discussion/view/1581847/a-version-of-elgg-being-sold-on-codecanyon. Your version being sold here could result in codecanyon being sued…. The other people have been notified. You can hide it here, but codecanyon and ELGG have been notified. Your profits revoked and lawsuit pending. If need be, a quick script will keep you busy trying to hide my letting others know :) It will continuously post which I know you would not be able to keep up…

Default-user

Chappy

20 minutes ago Flag

Why are you trying to hide the fact that you are selling someone else’s work?

Default-user

Chappy

19 minutes ago Flag

It is illegal and is also illegal in your country. See where some of the developers of ELGG reside… Good luck!

alcalbg

alcalbg Author

18 minutes ago Flag

You can say anything you like, I don’t mind, but when you are using names (or links even worse) you are promoting that other software.

Default-user

Chappy

15 minutes ago Flag

Server Type: cloudflare-nginx IP Address: 108.162.198.221 Reverse-IP | Ping | DNS Lookup | Traceroute Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com ASN: United States AS13335 CLOUDFLARENET – CloudFlare, Inc. (registered Jul 14, 2010) IP Location: United States – California – San Francisco – Cloudflare Inc. Response Code: 200 Domain Status: Registered And Active Website

Contacting Godaddy to let them know what you are doing. This also violates their TOS. You cannot sell someone else’s work on their servers!

Default-user

Chappy

1 minute ago Flag Edit

Your request has been received

Your ticket has been sent to our support team, who will reply to it via the email address you have supplied.

General Information Ticket ID #MRB-278-94064 Full Name DELETED Email -DELETED

Subject: Copyright Violation…

[Link removed by admin]

I have talked to the author on codecanyon that he is in violation of copyright of ELGG by selling a version of their software. I have alerted ELGG by email and by posting on their site as you can see:

“Just wanted to share that there is someone selling a copy of ELGG (with paid add-ons) on CodeCanyon: [Link removed by admin] 

A demo of the software can be viewed here: [Link removed by admin]

Copyright issue(s).”

*NOTE - He blocked some of our convo, but he could not deny anything! I have copies of the content he deleted in my email folder.

• I can't actually find any proof that it's based in Elgg.

I saw you wrote:

I will continuously post which I know you would not be able to keep up…

Please do not harass the admin of the site! You must provide absolute proof before you start accusing them of license infringement.

• I have the code... Have YOU purchased the version he is selling to see what I am saying? Have you reviewed what I have mentioned. I don't need you to post what you "feel" or can't see. I have proof.... Is there a relation?

• I have not purchased their service. I did however review the code in your comment. As far as I know, such code is not used anywhere in Elgg's core.

I sent my contact information to you in a private message. Can you provide more details to the address I provided?

• the code you provided doesn't look like an elgg code

• its smart marketing technology to sell his product.. LOL

• I'm closing this discussion thread. Any additional information regarding the matter should be sent to: info at elgg dot org

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.