Upgrading from 1.8.16 to 1.8.18. Should I do it?

I'm relatively new to Elgg site development and it's the first time I've come across an update. My site is on 1.8.16. Now that 1.8.18 is out what should I do? Should I upgrade? Will all my mods be working fine? Or is it that a site should stay on the version that it started at? Which is the most common thing to do?

Also, if I click on upgrade in my administration dashboard will my site upgrade to the newest version or the upgrade button is something entirely different?

• yes 100% upgrade asap upgrade is when you install a new plugin or unistall flush caches then upgrade after you do something or the site seems slow etc, your hosting company should provide the upgrade free go to softlicious or whatever script installer you have on your control panel and click all installations and you should see upgrade elgg to version to 1.etc 

• Here are some intructions on how to do the updates: http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/Upgrading_Elgg

The Upgrade button in the administration dashboard basically replaces the need to do the step 4.

When doing a minor upgrade like this (1.8.x) you can usually skip steps 1 and 5.

Will all my mods be working fine?

Yes, it's highly unlikely that anything goes wrong in a minor upgrade.

Or is it that a site should stay on the version that it started at?

You should always use the latest version because the older versions may include security issues that have been fixed in the latest version.

• I would like to add that you have to disable all third party plugins before perfoming a version upgrade. Also please make a backup of your site and database before starting the upgrade process.

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• Thanks! I forgot to mention that I did some changes in the default elgg files, like deleting the rss feed. Will these changes be maintained or will I have to do them again?

• The changes will be lost. That's one of the reasons you should not modify core files itself but make changes via overriding / extending the files by creating your own plugin.