new anti spam technique

Due to the recent complain's about elgg anti-spam capabilities...... i have been having these ideas on my mind.......
1. The issues of spammers that registered succesfully in our elgg network......
My idea...... i think implementing a capcha that verify if someone is human i.e scanning the comments before posting it ( before making the comment visible to the public) e.g after posting like 3 spamlinks.....in the wire......blog comments...... group comments...

• @tom it is not meant to bring up captcha after every posting ........what i meant is that the plugin should

1.it should scan every comment or posting that contains spammed links......e.g if a spammer post a spamed lets say 5 within 15 seconds it will bring the captcha up and at the same report to admin or if possible report to i.p blacklisting databases.......

2. if the spammer continues it should ban the spammer from posting for like an hour .......

• @moneya: and how should the plugin know if the link included in a posting is a spam link or not? A link as such is not necessarily a sign of spam.

And the time threshold (more than X new posts in less than Y minutes) is exactly the approach the Spam throttle plugin I linked above already has implemented.

• this is the idea....from what i know....only a spammer can post up to  lets say  5-10 links within 30 secs  interval.....

2.i would like to know if spambots can read animation.......

• i do not require my members to use captcha only when joning : )

• I only allow new users to register with facebook connect

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.