Plugins for non-released elgg 1.9

Hi there, 

How are you? hope you are well. I just want to say that please don't release plugins for Elgg 1.9 because it is not released offically and many many members confused when they saw plugin here for Elgg 1.9.

What question comes in their mind? "Oh where to download Elgg 1.9, i must upgrade my elgg"

Thanks

---------------

TO: All
CC: sathishkumarS.Brady.HussainBrianFJohn MullerMichele

• I think the confusion about Elgg 1.9 is not that extreme. After all there are also discussions of the core devs about the ongoing development of Elgg 1.9 here on the community site that should make the status of Elgg 1.9 clear.

I did release updated versions of my plugins that are supposed to be used on Elgg 1.9 already. Still, I do not yet recommend them because Elgg 1.9 is not yet officially finished and released. Why did I release updated plugin versions nonetheless? Because it allows people to test them out on the development version of Elgg 1.9. I might get some feedback about bugs I've missed and people might also find bugs or BC issues in Elgg 1.9 core that have gone unnoticed so far (or do not happen when only testing with the bundled plugins).

What happens when you only start updating and releasing your plugins after Elgg 1.9 is finished and released? Then you might come across BC issues in Elgg core that won't get fixed anymore in Elgg 1.9.X because you're too late to report them. And while you might save some time because you don't have to react on any last minute changes in Elgg core you will most likely get constantly asked when new versions of your plugins will get released or if the Elgg 1.8 version of the plugin is compatible with Elgg 1.9. So, in this case people will be confused if they already can use the plugins... confusion to be expected in any case...

• I would rather make it policy that plugins for unreleased versions of Elgg like 1.9 are clearly marked as unsupported instead of asking devs not to develop them.

•  Because it allows people to test them out on the development version of Elgg 1.9. I might get some feedback about bugs I've missed and people might also find bugs or BC issues in Elgg 1.9 core that have gone unnoticed so far (or do not happen when only testing with the bundled plugins).

I fully agree with the above. Its high time that we have plugins for 1.9 - because we need to move to Elgg 1.9 FAST mainly because of 3 things ( as an end-user)

- mobile first approach and responsiveness of the theme

- comments as entities

- "your own reason"

Waiting for a full release and then again waiting for a plugin makes thing really difficult for those who personally maintain a website and has been waiting for long for the above 3 things

• disha ....... responsiveness also a problem , some plugins will dont have responsiveness

• @satishkhumar: as long as they are developed using elggs build in functions, They'll be responsive. I've built a responsive theme for 1.8 and most plugins work perfectly fine and responsive with it. 

Its not not the elgg php code that needs to be responsive but the theme, and shipped with a responsive theme means a responsive plugin in 90% of the cases.

since plugins for 1.9 have their own 1.9 label in the repository, I'd say it's an easy tweak to add a red header on that plugins page automatically whenever the 1.9 version tag is selected by the author, with a notice that it's unsupported. 

• can u put that responsive theme in elgg so that i can also check it

• No, I can't, sorry, I got your message but I'm gonna reply here.
    There are a few reasons for this:

1. Parts of it are bought code, which is not licenced for me to sell it or put it available for anyone to download.
    2. It heavily relies on custom designed logo's and icons which are again not licenced to share.
    3. My community is far from ready, and I would only give you a half theme with a lot of bugs.

I recommend you to either look out here for responsive themes, there are a few in the community. I think Ismayil his last version of HypethemeX is responsive as well, or to look what Per Jenssen is doing. He is building very professional responsive 1.8 and 1.9 themes. http://www.perjensen-online.dk/

I don't think there are any better themes available for Elgg then his ones

• For the record, Elgg 1.9 will include the Aalborg theme, which is a responsive theme built by Per.

• Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. For some reason people don't seem to notice that despite blog post: http://blog.elgg.org/pg/blog/evan/read/229/elgg-19-mobilefriendly